In Memoriam

These members of our class have departed before their time. We remember them!

(If you have other photos of any of these members or could add details about their lives, please contact Tim Green to put it online.)

R.D. (Bob) Honour

Ten minutes after takeoff on 17 September 2005, the civilian helicopter that Bob was piloting suffered a fuel pump failure and caught fire. Bob wrestled with the machine as it plummeted to the ground trailing smoke, and he guided it to an open field near Duncan, BC away from the occupied house below. Despite Bob's best efforts, the helicopter crashed in a fireball killing Bob and his passenger.

Bob Honour

Jean-Pierre (Pete) Houle

Pete Houle graduated from RMC with a BEng (Electrical). He was one of the first UTPMs to go through the military college system. He retired with the rank of captain. He passed away on 12 January 2011 at the age of 63.

Pete Houle

I.D. (Ian) MacLeod

Ian passed away August 1988.

Ian Macleod

Robert (Bob) Maynard

Bob was born and grew up in St-Laurent (Montreal). He attended CMR and graduated in 1977 with a BSc (Honors Physics). As an army signal officer, he did all the exciting field jobs as lieutenant and captain, which prepared him for eventual command of the signal squadron in Valcartier at the rank of major.

In the 1980s, Bob received recognition for devising a PC program that was widely used across the CF for preparing formal messages. That began his love affair with information technology and gadgetry of all kinds. Bob was one of the early adopters of personal computing innovations.

Later in his CF career as a senior officer at NDHQ, Bob directed many department-wide initiatives. He saw the CF through Y2K certification, set up a CF-wide test and integration centre, and helped move the army forward in the area of operational command and control systems. Those who worked with Bob in the IM Group at DND attest to his dedication and commitment to ensuring that operations took precedence. At that point in his career, he attended the Advanced Military Studies Course in Toronto and deployed for a six-month operational tour to Sarajevo as part of the NATO Stabilization Force where he was the Force G6.

On retirement from the CF as a colonel in 2003, Bob joined the RCMP as a civilian member in the technology world. In several different executive appointments over four years, he looked after the RCMP's data networks, enterprise computing infrastructure, and computer operations. What Bob did at the RCMP was both complicated and important, and he did it well.

Looking for new challenges, Bob moved to PWGSC in October 2005 as their first Chief Technology Officer, a position he held for one year. At that time, PWGSC was restructuring to create Shared Services Canada. Because of Bob's extensive project management experience, he was asked to create and lead a new project delivery office function, a position he held until retirement in 2009. Bob then joined private industry as VP of Operations with the ADGA Group in Ottawa.

Bob loved to golf. Accuracy, an even temperament, and the shortest backswing in the history of the game were his trademarks.

Bob was a true gentleman and professional in everything he did. He was quiet, unassuming, effective, and efficient; he could be counted on to make things happen and get things done while looking after his people. While others may have used an aggressive style and raised voices to make their point, Bob used logic and eloquence, and invariably won the day. The leadership, integrity, and fierce loyalty to his colleagues and subordinates that he developed in the army carried through to the other organizations he served.

Bob spent his last few last years travelling the world with his wife Sylvie and their children Nicolas and Patricia. In the last four and a half years of his life, he and Sylvie visited extensively within Canada as well as the Galapagos Islands, Peru, England, the Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belgium, France, and Luxembourg. He went on playing golf as long has he could. He spent time with friends and family without letting cancer define him.

Bob passed away quietly on 14 November, 2015.

Bob Maynard

Laurence O'Neill

Laurence was born in Calgary and started his military career at Royal Roads Military College with some of us in 1973. He graduated from RMC in 1978. Laurence was respected, indeed revered, by his soldiers in the 2nd and 3rd battalions of The RCR.

Laurence retired from the Army in 1997 after 24 years of service. After a successful period with Calian, Laurence joined Computing Devices Canada (CDC) in 1998. CDC was acquired by General Dynamics Canada and Laurence progressed to his ultimate position as Director of Business Development there.

Diagnosed with cancer in 2012, Laurence made a brief appearance at our reunion in the fall of that year. Even though this was a difficult for him, it was important for Laurence (and for us!) that we be together one last time. Laurence passed away on 23 April 2013. He is fondly remembered by all who knew him as a devoted husband and father, a dedicated Canadian, soldier and leader of men. He was predeceased by his father Hugh and mother Elizabeth. He is survived by his wife Johanna Douglas-O'Neill and daughter Meaghan, his sister Catherine, her husband Bill Jeffery, and by his brother Eugene.

Laurence O'Neill

H.M. (Dieter) Popp

Capt. Dieter Popp died as the result of a motorcycle accident near Chatham, NB on 29 Mar 1984. Three CF-101 Voodoo aircraft from the squadron where Dieter was a pilot flew over Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Stratford, ON at Dieter's funeral.

Dieter Popp

J.M. (Marc) Pouliot

Brigadier-General Marc Pouliot joined Canadian Regular Force in September 1972. After graduating from the Collège militaire royal de St-Jean with a bachelor of Administration, he embarked on a series of progressively responsible command positions mainly with 4 Service Battalion supporting the Canadian brigade (4 CMBG) in Germany. After commanding the Canadian Junior Leader School in Europe and being an instructor at the Officer Training Company of the Canadian Forces School of Logistics and Administration in Borden, he successively commanded the transportation company and was the Deputy commanding officer of 5ième Bataillon des services du Canada in Valcartier. He then served as the G4 for 5ième Brigade Mécanisée du Canada.

In 1992-93, between stints as Movement and Transportation Senior Staff Officer at Land Force Headquarters, he served as the Chief Logistics Officer for United Nation Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) between Syria and Israel, while also commanding the Canadian Forces in the Middle East. Between 1994-97, as Commanding Officer of 5e Bataillon des Services du Canada, he deployed and commanded the Canadian National Support Element to Croatia in 1995 (UNPROFOR) and to Bosnia Herzegovina in 1996 (NATO IFOR/SFOR).

After a short tour as NDHQ J4 Log Ops, he was promoted to Colonel in January of 1998 and he became the Army Comptroller. Two years later, BGen Pouliot was back in Europe as Chief Mobility Branch and Allied Movement Coordination Centre "AMCC" director for SHAPE in Casteau, Belgium. In the summer 2002, BGen Pouliot was appointed Commander of the Canadian Forces Joint Support Group.One year later, he was chosen to command the Theatre Activation Team for OPERATION ATHENA in Kabul, Afghanistan for a three month tour, for which he received the Governor General Meritorious Service Medal.

After completing the National Security Studies Course in Toronto in the Spring of 2004, he was posted as J4 Logistics in NDHQ and subsequently appointed Director General Logistics/J4 Material.

BGen Pouliot passed away on 1 April 2005.

Marc Pouliot

B.G. (Blane) Ryan

Blane was a MILE officer stationed in Halifax when he left the military in the late 80s. He moved back to Edmonton and worked as a hotel night auditor while looking for work as an engineer in civilian life. He decided to change careers and achieved his Certified Public Accountant designation. He was working for an accounting firm when he passed away 7 October 2002 of complications with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He was 49 and single.

Blane Ryane

D.J. (Dave) Serek

Dave started his military career at Roads after having spent a year at UVic. He moved to Kingston at the end of second year to complete his BEng (Chemical (Nuclear)) degree and graduated as part of the Class of 77.

While at the colleges, Dave was always extremely fit. He was the CWSO at Roads and always the sports rep during phase training. But above all, he was known as a runner: harriers, circles, and Fort Henry just for the fun of it. He carried that on throughout his career. This was especially noticeable on the parachutist and combat diver courses, but also later on when he was posted to NDHQ... Dave would "run to catch the bus" as many of us had to do, but he ran 10 km to catch the bus from his home in Dunrobin and then another 10 km back at the end of the day, a couple of times a week!

Dave met Erika, the love of his life, in his hometown of Fernie, BC, but only started to date her when he was a rook at Roads and she was a first year at U Vic. When Dave moved to Kingston, Erika switched to Carleton U, and Dave became a regular road runner between Kingston and Ottawa. They were married 14 July 1979.

After grad and phase IV, Dave was posted to 4 Field Squadron (later 4 Combat Engineer Regiment) in Lahr, Germany, a part of the world that he and Erika had an affinity for as he managed to go back several times. An excellent instructor, Dave managed to spend a couple of years teaching at the School of Military Engineering while it was still in Chilliwack, and because he spoke German well, he was posted to the Pionnier Schule in Munich to form young engineer minds on that side of the Atlantic too.

In the fall of 1993, when posted to NDHQ, Dave once again had the opportunity to help and train others. This time it was by setting up and instructing on the first Caribbean Junior Command and Staff Course (the Jamaican Defence Force equivalent of "Foxhole U") in Newcastle, Jamaica. During a break in the course, Dave, along with the other instructing staff, brought their families to vacation at a resort in Jamaica. It was during this vacation that Dave was murdered by an intruder while defending his beloved wife Erika, and their daughter Jennifer, in their hotel suite on the night of 17 October 1993.

The Jamaican Defence Force dedicated the Major D.J. Serek Building at Newcastle in his honour.

A loving husband and father, an officer with tremendous potential, a great guy and friend to us all, "Ski" was taken from us far too soon, and he remains sorely missed.

Dave Serek

E.B. (Eric) Thomas

Eric passed away on 27 October 2002 after a long illness.

Eric Thomas

M.W. (Marc) Walton

Marc was born in Toronto and attended high school in Port Elgin, ON where he played basketball and excelled in everything, especially math. After graduating from RMC, he completed his masters degree at Carleton and was posted to Cold Lake. He was teaching at RMC when he died suddenly of a brain colloid cyst, 23 July 1986.

Marc Walton

D.P. (Dave) Wilson

Dave passed away 22 Nov 1996 afer a mess dinner while serving in Petawawa.

Dave Wilson